Bandai 1/144 HG RX-0 Unicorn Gundam [Destory Mode]

This is my Bandai 1/144 HG RX-0 Unicorn Gundam [Destory Mode]; I have already blogged about this project here. This is now my attempt to update this project with better photos to give it justice as it is one of my favourite build in 2020.
I did not customise this kit much at all because I can’t think of any ideas. There is a saying you can improve on prerfection, and I think this is one of this kit that I just want to build it the way it is. I did give it a slightly more metallic blue accent because I just prefer to give it a bit more contrast over a whole white base.
I also gave it more weapons and shield from my Unicorn [Normal Mode]. This just helps to justify the “Destory Mode” title!

I had not have the chance to get a Full Frontal Sinanju so I have no choice to use a Stein.

This is just a side-by-side comparison to my EG RX-78 Grand-Daddy. You can see the technology have improved on the Gundam line since RX-78 rolled out.

This is a comparison to the Unicorn Normal Mode.

This is a comparison to some other mobile suits that appeared in the in the Anime. The left is my Delta Plus customised to look like a MSN-00100 Hyaku Shiki, and to the right is my Jesta which was painted in Jegan Green.

Bandai 1/144 HG RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 [RX-78-6 Mudrock Custom]

The Bandai 1/144 HG RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 is not my first Blue Destiny kit, I actually already owned 2 but saw this on www.armourofgod.co.uk and decided to purchase it as a custom unit. I knew that Bandai actually updated their mould for the Blue Destiny and my previous 2 models are the improved version; this kit I just bought sadly isn’t.

This Bandai 1/144 HG RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 is released in 2007, although it has some good parts separation mainly around the legs. I am slightly disappointed with the torso. The latest version has the vents and waist cannons moulded in separated pieces for easy painting but this is moulded with the intention of using stickers and masking. The skirt armour is also mould as a single piece which I have to mask to get the colour separation I am aiming for. In the end, I drilled out that waist cannons and repurpose the beam sabres to provide the part separation.

I am not keen on making another Blue Destiny kit, and I was inspired by the latest PBandai Mudrock. The Mudrock is the 6 variant of the RX-78 design; it is modified to improve on the original design by giving it more long range fire power. I thought the Blue Destiny unit is a good start because the chest itself is already equipped with several ballistic weapons. Thus, my kitbash included a head unit from a Ground Gundam, Beam Cannons from Ground Gundams, Heavy Beam Rifle from Gun Cannon, Heavy Shield from Alex NT-1, and Hand Gatling Pods from Powered Arms Powereder Weapons Pack from Build Divers.

The double Beam Cannon made this Gundam very back heavy and thus I am not able to get it to stand on its own; luckily I have a few spare stands to use.

I am not too keen on the original lemony yellow accent of the Mudrock but after playing with some colours, the Teal blue and off white base colours actually worked quite well together. Don’t look too closely on this kit, the details and panel lines are not deeply cut in early 2000 hence there are lots of searing from panel lining, I tried to clean up as best as I could, but I am not patience enough. Also my masking isn’t really up to scratch, there are several places with the paint bleeding and I have to touch up using hand brushing.

Saying that, once I completed everything and assembled everything together, I am really surprise how well the colour combination turned out. The kit looks mecha handsome with its edgy corner, the huge weapons and shield gave it a battle ready look. Both my Mudrock Custom and EG RX-78-2 look like they are ready to be deployed.
This is my Mudrock Custom standing next to the mine other improved moulding of the Blue Destiny. Although you may not seeing the parts separation, but you can clearly see the vents and waist cannons on the previous units looks sharper and more defined. There are not much difference in terms of design between the newer moulding and the old, but I can see that the Mudrock as a slightly slimmer leg tight compared to the new models. This makes the new models having a slightly stubby look.

I gave my Mudrock Custom the number “06” because it is the 6th variant of the RX-78, I also used some red triangles to help give it a more closer representation to the actual Mudrock. Deep down, I know I had made a lot of mistake painting this, but I actually do like the colour, the customised weapons and look. This unique colour kind of refreshes and stood out on the shelf of my other entire similar colour Gundam. This is also a trash kit of the year for me but I am glad I finished it.

If you like my work, please consider liking my blog post and take a look at my previous projects so that I can proof to my wife that these plastic toys taking over the shelves are more influential than her Chinas.